Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Jar

I found myself restless tonight and unable to sleep. I lay staring at the ceiling and reviewing the events of the last year. It seems like a lifetime has transpired over these last 12 months. I reflected on cherished and sweet memories of falling in love, dusting off hidden ambitions, saying goodbye to dear ones, facing challenges you felt were beyond yourself and embracing new kindred spirits soon to become lifelong friends. Finally, after accepting I was never going to fall asleep, I brushed off a dusty copy of Christmas Jars by Jason Wright and started reading. It is now the weary hours of the morning and I have finished the book. For the first time this Christmas Season I have felt the pangs of the true spirit of Christmas. The book reminded me of Christmas miracles. Not just Christmas miracles, but the miracles of everyday life. It was not like I forgot, but rather perhaps lost hope in miracles. Sad since I have witnessed so many this year. I was mostly disappointed in myself for losing hope in the greates of all miracles. The healing power of the atonement. I marvel at a Father's love for His children and the sacrifice of His Son. Christ was born, lived and died that others might live. Not just to bring to pass immortality or the resurrection, but that I might "live" now in this very moment.

In my scripture study tonight I noticed a passage that had never caught my eye before. It is in Jacob 2:8. Jacob is addressing the people for the first time since his brother Nephi's death. Really, what would you say? He admonishes that they, the people of Nephi, have come to hear, "... the pleasing word of God, yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul." The word was given to heal the soul. He lived to heal us. Today. Now. This very minute. I have a merciful Father and through His sacrifice of love I am healed, can become clean and whole again. So, in the quiet of this morning, I rejoice. I rejoice in my King, the Prince of Peace and my heart is full. "Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel... Oh, my soul, almost as it were, fleeth at the thought, Behold, he did not exercise his justice upon us, but in his great mercy hath brought us over that everlasting gulf of death and misery, even to the salvation of our souls (Alma 26:16. 20)." It has brought to mind the words of a famous Christmas hymn that struck me in Sunday's meetings as never before. They were the words from O' Holy Night, "... long lay the world in sin and error pining, til He appeared and the soul felt it's worth. A thrill of hope. A weary world rejoices. For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. Fall on your knees. Oh hear the angel voices. Oh, night, divine. O night divine." We are no longer a world that need lay in sin and error pining. He did appear and a soul felt it's worth. Mine. I have reason for rejoicing. I love Christmas and finally I have felt it. Perhaps now I can rest a bit. :)

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

You are awesome Bev.
I have never read Christmas Jars. I have wanted to but haven't gotten around to it.

Bev said...

You need to. It is a short one and you will love it.